Monday, September 1, 2014

I'm tired of awareness campaigns

I don't know about you, and I may get in trouble for this post, but, I am sick to death of the stupid ALS ice bucket challenge. I think everyone knows what ALS is. Most people still call it Lou Gehrigs disease and that's fine. He brought a lot of awareness when he died of ALS. I was diagnosed, years ago, with ALS. There is no test they can give you to see if you actually have ALS, it's very hard to diagnose. I lived for years thinking I only had a couple of years to live. When I passed the estimated time of death mark twice, it was pretty clear I didn't have Lou Gherig's Disease. I have some kind of motor neuron affliction, but, it's not ALS, and yeah, I'm pretty happy about that. But, don't challenge me in the ice bucket campaign, because I'm not doing it. I'm sick of it on Face Book and everywhere else. I don't see how fools dumping ice on their heads helps anyone. I guess it got a few celebs to write some checks for free publicity, but, all the people on Face Book and other social network sites aren't giving. Now it's just stupid people looking stupid with ice on their heads. They don't even identify it as an ASL awareness challenge. It helps no one and is as useful as 'planking'.

Now there's new 'awareness' campaign where celebrity men paint one fingernail to make people aware of child abuse. Come on! Aren't we aware that children are abused? How will this shit help stop it? Now we'll have to see this crap on Face Book.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. The whole ice bucket thing is stupid, and benefits no-one except a few celebrities, and the charity, if anyone actually donates. What a foolish lot of crap. There is no way that I am doing that if anyone nominates me.
Christina

marnie said...

I agree. I'm so tired of it , its not even funny. Soo stupid and just a way for people to get attention they are so starved for.

Dan Zinski said...

I'm painting the fingernail on my middle finger and showing it to people to raise awareness that I want them to fuck off.

Angie said...

And how much of this money is actually going towards ALS research, I wonder?

Like anyone needs a sign that you want them to fuck off, Melvin.

Frimmy said...

Not offended. I don't care if anyone wants to do it but I haven't been nominated and won't do it if I am.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh, now there's a creative idea.
Christina

Unknown said...

Great idea Melvin!

While I hope the charity gets the money and makes good use of it, I'm doubtful. I hate the very idea of awareness campaigns; I know about ALS and breast cancer, thanks. No wrist bands for me, no ice buckets either. Millions of dollars have been spent on awareness and very little of it does anything other than enrich the founders of the campaign. I'm absolutely serious.

How about we do an awareness campaign for DD fans. We can be awareness of those who have to deal with crazy people.

Pat, I really missed you the last few days and was worried you got another stone or something. When I was hospital this year for a week and got discharged, I was only home a few days and had to back for almost 3 weeks. I was afraid the same happened to you. It's so nice to "see" you again.

Anonymous said...

I always believed there will never be a cure to these diseases - especially cancer. If there was ever a cure, where would all the money go to?

Lisa P said...

The fingernail looks like a Penn Jillette copycat.

Jane said...

Lisa, thanks. I knew I had seen the painted nail somewhere before. Does anyone kinow why Penn does it?

Melvin, put a smiley face on it.

Pat, hope you were just taking some time off and that you are OK.

As for the ice dump, I'd probably have a heart attack from the shock.

Anonymous said...

I think the cure for most, if not all of what ails us, is to be found here on earth. Rainforests, etc. hold the key, but probably every day a cure for something, or at least comfort measures, are eliminated by deforestation, or pollution. I really do believe that so much more than we have now, or know of, is here.
Christina

Anonymous said...

I am not tired of awareness campaigns per se, however I did see a local politician do the challenge and all he talked about was his campaign. That really irked me. He was my old HS teacher and I have thought about emailing him ever since.

The challenge has turned into a game kindof, and it is bringing awareness. All I know have contributed. If you ask me it is an in your face campaign and it is bringing in money. Most young people today don't know who Lou G was.

Juri

Anonymous said...

Both are ridiculous grabs for publicity. Helps nobody except the guy who gets the checks. The originator died last week. In an accident , I believe. I saw it on my news page and thot, Oh, he had ALS. NO! he didn't. It was weird. He died! Who gets the cash? Ya know? The fingernail thing is almost pedo-ish. Like we all know how a man can use his finger to pop a cherry. That's not something I would even want to go near, if I was a male celeb. It's kinda obvious what that's all about. This is all just dumb and a waste of money and time. I don't follow any of it anyway. I see it on my news page and thats it. I have my own theory about the ice bucket thing anyway. & it has ZERO to do with ALS. There's NO cure people!!! Jeezus. It's not about what ppl think it is.

Rox

Kathy said...

I posted this on FB a couple weeks ago...don't think I was too popular for it....

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/why-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-bad-for-you/