Thursday, October 30, 2014

Samhain celebrations 2...

We are not a bunch of scary Debil worshipers. Samhain, usually pronounced 'Sowain' is a beautiful and fun New Years Eve honoring of those who have passed on. With food, drink, drumming, chanting, singing and music. Oh, and calling it Sam-hain is just fine.


Your gathering can be large or small. It can be done all alone, if you wish. There are no rules for that sort of thing.

You may dress formally in your best gowns and cowels..or you may wear your every day clothes. You may paint your face or make elaborate head dresses and costumes to imitate your favorite deity..or not. You should always take a ritual bath before attending though. That is pretty mandatory. It shows respect to the spirits. As does the offering of food and drink.

Yes, Pagan children attend the ceremony. They love it, they beat drums and use noisemakers and sparklers. There is nothing scary going on. Lissa loves to see what the spirits drink. She measures the amount in the glasses put out for the dead to see if they've sipped. Oh, and witches children DO participate in Halloween. They trick or treat with their friends, Pagan or non Pagan. The Samhain celebration takes place after Halloween, usually around 9pm. The real circle calling and spooky stuff takes place at the witching hour..3 am. The kids are safe in bed by then. Yes, we hire babysitters, just like you.

I just wanted to show some of you who aren't familiar with Samhain what it REALLY is. It's damn good fun and positive magik is the only magik allowed. Happy and Blessed Samhain, to all of you.

PS, yep, some Pagans go sky clad. I wouldn't recommend it at my age, plus it can get dang chilly.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Pat, wish we could be there. :-)

Noelle said...

Happy Samhain. With you in spirit.

Jane said...

Happy Samhain! Did you realize this will be your last celebration in your little home? Next year you will be in your "new old" home. I'm thinking you may have to add the Guntown Beer drinkers to the group. (Unless you go somewhere other than your new backyard.) They sound like they would celebrate with you. You may even have some converts!


Have a joyous Samhain!

Cut said...

Happy, healthy Samhain, Pat and everyone.
Merry, Merry!!
(Please send me "good stuff", and I'll do the same)

Jane said...

Went to the local burger joint for a big juicy burger. I told them no mayo, add mustard. Got home, checked out the burger. Yes there was mayo and no mustard. So I added mustard, took a big bite and something was wrong. Opened it back up and no damn meat. I guess I've been tricked (or f'd)! And I was hungry too!

In case you missed it, it took me 2 times to open that burger up to figure out there was no meat on it. Sometimes I worry about myself.

connie45 said...

Wishing you a wondrous Samhain! It's just plain old Halloween around here.

I've heard that many towns in the east and midwest do their trick or treating early - last night. Is that how it is in your town Pat?

Roxie loves her devil costume and Marina - well Im not sure what she is suppose to be but involves spraying her hair jet black, white faced - sunken eye make up and some bloody scars that she's been practicing applying. If I can get a decent pic - Ill email it to you.

Hope you and Lissa have a good time!
I'll be sitting on the porch for hours handing out candy.