Sunday, April 26, 2015

Today

People now understand that Indie is just playing. I wouldn't trust him to chick-sit all day with them without the wire, but, they are allowed out with him. They play with him back, rushing and pecking and clucking him. He runs other cats off, he doesn't like other cats looking at HIS chickens.


They only have fuzz on their heads and butts now, all their real feathers are filling in. They don't have too many bald spots now, they are almost out of that awkward adolescent look. I keep a couple of lawn chairs out there and people around here really enjoy watching them. It seems to bring back a lot of memories for many people. I like watching them and talking to them. They watch everyone else too. They enjoy company.

The size difference between a broiler (Sunny) and a little pan fryer, (Cher) still amazes me. They compete for food, even though food is always available. It's more fun to fight over one grape than to dig through a pile of grapes. Cher has always lived off Sunny's crumbs. They help each other break down larger food items by fighting over them. The squabbles and chases are pretty entertaining. Lissa and I crack up at Cher's "come at me, bro" stance. Neck stretched high, chest puffed out. Like a little fighter with no arms, she will not take shit from fat Sunny.

Sunny is going to be one big fat chicken. She's the friendliest of the two, though they both like to be petted and held sometimes. They both come when called, even if they're out of the cage. Sunny was the pecker. Yep. She could hurt too. But, I'd tap her gently on the head and she finally stopped doing it. She never did it to be mean, she did it, I guess, because she's a chicken. Chickens are smart enough, if you ask me. They can sure learn things.  I'm glad I got them, it may have been a dumb, impulsive decision and it cost me some money, but, the enjoyment is worth it. They aren't too much work now either, not like when they were babies. I just find myself checking them a lot, even at night. But, then I get caught up and end up spending time with them. Chickens are fun.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We referred to it as chicken TV. They are so funny to watch. I love when one of them finds a juicy worm or something, and she clucks repeatedly while eyeing it from one side and then the other. Admiring her find. When other chickens come over, she either grabs it and runs, squealing, for a game of keep-away, or gobbles it up just before the other birds get there. It's pretty funny when you give them canteloupe seeds, and the seeds tend to hang in strings. There is always at least one bird that grabs a string and runs, screaming with the seeds trailing behind her.
Some of those birds get huge, if kept for longer than the usual growth period. I knew of someone who kept them for a very long time, and they were about 10-12 pounds when done.
Christina

Dirty Disher said...

Chicken TV, yep, gonna call it that from now on. I love the side eye looks too. They really are funny. I love Cantelope, I'll have to get one next time I go shopping so I can do that. Dang, that's a BIG chicken. Well, every animal I own usually gets bigger than average. You should see the coons we have. Some of them are huge. They'd be scary to a stranger. But, they have no competition and constant available food, so they just chill and get huge. Harmless fellers.

Dirty Disher said...

PS, the cops stopped and watched them yesterday. They said nothing, so, there's that.

Anonymous said...

I have to hook you up DD. I've been reading this blog for a couple of months now, though it's several years long. Chickens, coops, and everything else:

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/thinking-of-keeping-chickens-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-story-of-the-ugly-little-hen/

Unknown said...

It's amazing the wonder and peace that animals provide. The heartaches and irritations too, but all in all, good bang for our bucks.

Dirty Disher said...

Yep, Border. I'm having a hard time with it all still, but, I can't seem to live with no animals. Life doesn't seem right without at least one pet.

Dirty Disher said...

The ugly little chicken story was pretty good.

Kitty said...

Aww, they are getting so pretty.

Anonymous said...

That blogger Karen doesn't have bare land to speak of for her chickens. But she loves her girls and as I always suspected, I would too if I got them. I just lost my 14 year old dog to a brain tumor and two months later, my husband died suddenly.
House is empty and 8 months later I still feel like sh.t. I don't want to love any more mortals at this point. I'm sticking to gardens, books and household things. But love your chicken pictures and stories