Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Rant of the day..art fart

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"Suicide Socialite" by Jason Maynard. He continues his decade long exploration into "cultural relevance and symbolic reference to candy." He's the same dude that gave us Suris poop, Britney giving birth, Paris Autopsy and Kate Moss twisted into a pretzel.

We are "proudly" invitied by The Venice Contemporary to view this particularly poignant and relevant piece of art for a very limited time.

Ahem. You guys know how much I love contemporary art. I am a huge defender of modernistic exhibits and stuff that seems odd to people not involved directly in the art world. But, this stuff escapes me. What the hell does it mean? I think I've looked at it enough to be able to take away something relevant to contemporary society or the art world in general, but, I can't. Other than being an amazing technical person, in that Maynard can make a realistic looking piece...I see nothing, but, sensationalisim and monetary longing. This guy is no Banksy, it's hack and this is the last post I'll do on him unless he can actually get a real live celeb in the presentation. Maynard, you are one step away from being the "painter of light." To bad you can't sell it on QVC.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

His stuff looks realistic, but that's where the realism ends....

Anonymous said...

As if we don't see this ho enough already

Anonymous said...

This form of art is too strange for me.. It creeps me out.