Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gossip history..delicious old gossip


Why did Bette Davis and Joan Crawford despise each other to the bitter end? According to gossip historian, Michael Thornton it was because, when they were young, bi-sexual Joan fell madly in love with Bette. Bette was straight and never returned the feelings, in fact, scorned them. The hate festered for decades, with both women denying it's existence.
*
When they made Baby Jane, Bette took the simulated violence too far and kicked Joan in the head, gashing her scalp and it required stitches. As for Mommy Dearest, she kicked even harder. *The love of Bette's life was a man she could never marry because he became Joan Crawford's second husband.* "She took him (Franchot Tone) from me," Davis admitted bitterly in 1987. "She did it coldly, deliberately and with complete ruthlessness. I have never forgiven her for that and never will." Bette also believed that Joan used sex to advance her career. "She slept with every star at MGM", she alleged later, "of both sexes."
*
70 years of secrets. I hope we don't have to wait that long to find out exactly what happened between Nicole and Tom or Bradjelina and Jen. Juicy though, huu? Someone make a Bette/Joan life story movie!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool post DD. I am loving this one. I love both those old broads and all their movies. That was indeed, quite delicious! I just had lunch, so that was my dessert. Thank you.

Dirty Disher said...

I love old gossip..maybe I should do it once a week. So many old scandals we forget. Yum.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see that movie!!

Love the quote from a gossip historian - that's a job I would love to have.

Anonymous said...

ps - It would be awesome to see old gossip done once a week too. It is funny to look back on celeb romances, especially after they have gotten divorced, and plans that they had for their careers that didn't work out.

Anonymous said...

yeah, but now new gossip is old when it happens. News gets around too fast now. There are NO secrets. And nobody stays married or together long enough to have any old dirt dug up about them either.& now we have zillions of paps all over the world telling all the secrets on a daily basis. Hedda Hopper used to use "blind" items & wouldn't ever do anything rude. So, it left you guessing. Even good old Rona Barret did that. Now nothing is off limits. We even see celebs private parts, that wouldn't have happened way back then! Stars had some dignity, even if it was just a cover by the studios. The "old" stuff is awesome. Like all the gays in old Hollywood that were never outed until decades later. When they are dead. Thats the kind of stuff I love. Things we might not be aware of ever happened. Keep digging DD. WE love it. It's better & juicier!!!

Anonymous said...

So utterly Glamorous! Even the nasty stuff! Glam 2.0!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! do old gossip once a week!!!! :)

how about 'classic gossip' on saturdays??

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!
Thanks for this post, Dish. I want to add my vote for weekly "classic gossip". (And I think some of your younger readers would enjoy this stuff every bit as much as those who are older)

Yum, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Haha pretty juicy! I always wondered what those old school celebs were hiding. Very intriguing!

Boston Jess

Anonymous said...

Could I ask, what does "huu" mean?

Is it pronounced like "Hugh" or like "huh" huh or is it something else?

Anonymous said...

Great post.

I love the idea of "classic gossip" too. Please keep it coming, DD!

I can't stand those classless bimbos anymore. I want to read the juicy stuff about the really talented, the true legends!

Dirty Disher said...

Huh..not hugh, huh is my slang way of asking if you agree with me.

Dirty Disher said...

Oh, if used by itself, with lots of question marks, huh, or huu can indicate confusion.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really like this too - I love old movie gossip...I would like to link to this on my Sunday links post, I was thinking of doing more with old movie gossip over at my retro site.

I love reading you every day but this is my first comment...

Anonymous said...

Old gossip once a week, oh yes DD!!
I loved this post and loved these two actresses until Mommy Dearest came out. Now every time I hear her name I feel a bit of a shudder.

Susan

Anonymous said...

don't forget about bette's daughter writing a tell all too!! though not as vivid as 'mommie dearest'....

if hollywood made a movie of this they'd fictionalize it and/or add subplots that are made up....hollywood is unable to make a true titanic movie---and that true story has enough drama/comedy even/romance/etc for 10 movies...hollywood can't handle 'biographical movies' in an accurate manner...