Sunday, June 15, 2008

Don't buy these for your little kids

Don't buy the Morning Glorys for kids if your kids are under age 12. They were sold as "sparklers" in the grocery store and I picked up some for Lis. We set 'em off last night and they were pyro projectiles, not sparklers. She had fun, but, they're too old for her and shouldn't be called "sparklers." We ended up sticking them in the mud and setting them off. Now I have to buy a bag of real sparklers or she'll be mad. Better mad than blinded! Oh, she made her grocery list for this week. It had symbols she said stood for sparklers, bubbles, squirt guns and candy. Okay, then, all the summer essentials. But, no more Morning Glorys. Uh uh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad no one got hurt! they market all these different fire crackers as 'sparklers' and it ain't cool to do that!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me... Where I live, ALL "fireworks" are outright banned, apart from heavily-regulated "shows". But, Holy CRAP! It doesn't matter WHERE YOU LIVE--they shouldn't be selling pyrotechnic PROJECTILES at the fuckin' grocery store!!!

sheeesh! Honestly, Dish... I can't believe we don't hear of kids "putting their eye out" on a daily basis!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, just wanted to add that I'm greatly-relieved you discovered the true nature of those "sparklers" (!!!) before Lis was allowed to handle them...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I live in MA. even adults can't buy them.

Harry Gilliam said...

There appear to be some misconceptions about what Morning Glory Sparklers are. Yes, they really are sparklers (there are at least 6 or 7 different types of sparklers sold in the US). Yes, they are different from standard gold sparklers. They can display up to 5 different colors or effects, including some soft popping sparks. They are fine for children who are 10 and up AS LONG AS THEY ARE UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION. But this caveat goes for all types of sparklers, including the standard gold ones. More injuries are caused in the US by burning (1800 degrees F.) standard sparklers, mostly to unsupervised children, than all other fireworks combined every year. FYI, I'm in the fireworks industry, and I know what I'm talking about.

Anonymous said...

a friend of my kids had an uncle killed by a bottle rocket that misfired and went into his eye. They look small & innocent enough, but they are deadly. You never know when one is gonna do something unexpected.