Thursday, December 18, 2008

This isn't about Ramen noodles


I could have titled it "I'll tell you what!" That's an expression around here, it means you've heard something that astounded you and pissed you off so bad you don't have anything to say. Except I do. I just got a phone call from a charity organization, I won't say which one, but, the guy said they are looking for donations this holiday season. I tried to cut him off by telling him it's a bad time for me to be donating, but he's got his shpeel on full tilt boogie. I finally said, okay, what do I need to do? He says nothing! That's the beauty of it, he says, he will send me a donation "package" with all the info and all I have to do is check mark some box on a form and they'll go from there. Yeah, yeah. Sigh. He gives the amounts you can check. I said I'll give you 5 bucks. No, he said, the lowest denomination for donation on the form is $20.00. Now, I'm sitting right here with my purse and my checkbook and I know how much I can spare. I said, NO, I'll give you 5 bucks. So he explains how it's not good for them to send me a stamped envelope for a donation of less that 20 dollars. I'm no math whizz, but, I see a profit there, dude.
*
I had this same conversation at another net place this week. This chick was all fired up about how people won't donate to charity. It was about that K-Mart deal where they ring up your stuff then ask you if you'd like to give a dollar to a charity. She said it made her mad when people say no. I said sometimes I have it figured to the last dollar and I don't have it. She came back and said everybody has spare change to give. Then some other poor people got on and they all started a huge fight and by the time I got back the post had been shut down. The last thing I read from her was "give a penny"..and I thought, man, beat it to death, lady.
*
Anyway, back to this dude on the phone. I told the fucker they obviously didn't need my money if my donation wasn't big enough and I hung up. Then I made some Ramen for dinner. Fucking charity people, I'll tell you what! And fucking Internet people all pretending they're rich. Or they ARE all rich and I'm the loser. Beats me. All I know is the kid's going to have a nice Christmas, got it covered and Ramen's not bad if you don't have to have it all week. There ARE people who don't have anything else and would be glad to have Ramen. I think I'd rather talk to them than this "give a penny!" person or that phone boob. People need to get real...or spend some time in the real world.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

that 'spare a $1' stuff at checkouts is ANNOYING....

i give money to the rescue group i got pan from, when i am able too and we attend almost all their functions....i even bought their calendars, want one DD??

other than that, i'm poor too...i figure my charity giving includes buying the kids around here birthday & xmas gifts...i'd rather directly impact a kid's life than enrich a charity's director...

yes i know many charity's don't have bigwig director's, but MANY do...why do some charities have directors making $300,000 a year? why do they have really expensive dinners? ya know???

i'm more grassroots and hands on....

and i ALWAYS give the homeless people we see sleeping in bus shelters downtown on christmas eve at least $10 each and tell them that they aren't forgotten...

Anonymous said...

here's a page with ALL kinds of ramen recipes!!!

Dirty Disher said...

I know I was thinking about you when I wrote that post. I know you do things all year long for people even though you don't have a lot yourself. And you never brag about it either. That's what real charity is about. Some people just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I am so tired of people with their hands out. I know what organizations I give to and what amounts I give. I make a six figure income and there are still times that I have to juggle my own day-to-day bills for necessities like power, water and food.

Plus my phone rings all damn day with sales people and other nonsense about the second notice that the factory warantee on my car is about to expire - news flash - I don't have a factory warantee to begin with!!!

Is it too much to ask to be left alone? I do my job and spend my earnings - I don't need any help with any of that.

Dirty Disher said...

Amen to that.

Anonymous said...

oh hey anon 3:49, i kept getting those factory warranty calls too!!! i've got a 20 year old car my neighbors gave me when they moved and there's a warranty?? i never returned the calls to figure out what kind of scam it was....

thanks DD! if you want a save ohio strays calendar email your addy and i'll send ya one! (I have like 3 more calendars than i can use! :) but it was a good deal for 5 of 'em....

Dirty Disher said...

I think I'd like that! What a nice Christmas present.

Anonymous said...

To me it would be entirely different if these charities weren't actually 'corporations' with large payrolls to pay out.

I stopped giving a few years ago when I realized where my money was going. I'd rather spend it on animals, the environment and other worthwhile stuff.

Anonymous said...

email me your addy DD and it'll go in the mail today!

misstiaemail@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I hate Ramen with every fiber of my being.

Anonymous said...

The Dollar General is the worst. I pay with a debit all the time. I honestly have NO change to drop in. They always make you feel like a low-life. Ok...this is the f'g Dollar General chick. Don't get shitty with me...it's the Dollar General. Have you ever seen most of the people that shop in there? Nothing against anyone, these days everyone shops there or Wal-Mart now. But it is annoying and they should stop. It's like a tip cup in a drive thru. Are you kiddin ????

Anonymous said...

DD...Misstia is awesome...but she DID just brag about her kindness...sorry to point that out.

Anonymous said...

Bloody yakkers called me this morning. Some woman wanted to send me the "donation" package for some charity breast cancer society. I've been out of work for 2 months and told her I couldn't help. She kept going on and on.

I finally told her if I was going to donate to save boobs, I'd donate to fix my own sagging ones. (yeah, yeah, I know it's for breast cancer, but she pissed me off and saggy boobs was the 1st thing that came to mind)

I decided years ago that I would never feel guilty about NOT donating to charities once I found out how little of my money actually went to helping people. Now, the only thing I donate is food and supplies to the local churches and soup kitchens.

Anonymous said...

This site is very informative in helping you find a GOOD charity to donate to.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Also, they did a segment on 20/20 or something about the extra change these stores receive from "rounding up" and the majority of the stores DIDN'T even donate it.
I donate monthly to St.Jude and this lady was trying to get me to round up the amount so that the extra could go to St.Jude. I told her no thanks that I make monthly contributions there as it is. She said, come on you can do it. How does she know what I can do. I think these stores reward the cashier that suckers the most people to "round up."

Anonymous said...

I had Ramen for lunch today and MissTia is right. There are a bunch of good recipes out there for them.

NellyBoy said...

Halle Berry Full Of Gays...
You people, sigh.
So, if you give time, money, whatever - no need for any guilt. If the person doesn't know you, they can't judge you. If they do judge you it's based on their impression of 3 seconds of knowing you which amounts to "who gives a fuck".
When I got a call from Sears for a family photo I thanked them but told them my family was too ugly to be in pictures.
Lady selling books at the door to riase money? Ya, told her I was illiterate & then started to look like I was about to tear up & was really upset.
J-Dubs? Well, it so happened I had about 5 friends over & when 2 strapping young men in suits rang my bell, I invited them into my living room. And lets just say i was the Butchest one of ALL my friends. You guesses it, in almost 8 years I've never had another J-Dub, LOL.
Poor little bastards trying to spread the Good Word and here a gaggle of Fags were trying to spread them, LOL.
Whatever - come in my house & it's MY rules!
Kids charities - tell them you hate kids...and so on.
It's actually a lot of fun.

Mary Kiss-my-ass & Happy Nude Bear to all with Air Kisses,
Nelly

Dirty Disher said...

4:55:00 PM, I remember the post where Tia told us things she did for the neighborhood kids and I didn't take it as bragging. I took it, like, how to do something even if you don't have money. She buys things at used stores, like sleds, and leaves them out for the kids in winter. She does a lot of things like that and gives good ideas on here.

Dirty Disher said...

Nelly..you crack me up.

Anonymous said...

this post has nothing to do with a celeb and it has gotten so many comments. I'm tellin ya'...us women will talk about ANYTHING!

Unknown said...

Disher, you are so right. This paragraph literally stopped me from donating my time or anything else to one of the local churches, basically telling me in a very diplomatic way that my time is not worth a fuck if I don't give them money.

"Our gifts of time and talent do not substitute for the gifts of our financial resources (Sacrificial Giving). Nor do our gifts of treasure substitute for our gifts of time and talent. All are gifts from God."

(St Michael's Parish in Olympia, WA)

I am much happier to go to the SA and give them a hand.

Anonymous said...

Nelly Boy...I am, yet again, on the floor crying from the laughter! You really should do your own blog! DD could link you here and we'd all read you! And being a former J-Dub myself, I Really appreciated the humor of the gay party with the uninvited JW's! That really made my day, trust me, you have no idea!!! I would pay money just to see the pictures of those guys leaving and what they wrote on their log for your street. You'd be surprised wht those things say. They use them every time they do a street and yours doesn't say "bad dog", you know that! Little known fact, many young JW guys are closeted and cannot get "out" or their families will shun them for life. It's the cruelest punishment. But...you cracked me up fella.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the K-Mart donations. Anyone with a brain could figure out how to simply write a check for your purchases and then donate the cash. That way you do not run short. You are a grinch! In fact, many of you on here are from what I just read. Shame on you.

Dirty Disher said...

6:44:00 PM, if I were you I'd take my next "donation" and use it for some reading classes. You just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

okaaay 6:44...it's on. Unlike you obviously, everyone else on here may not have extra funds available to donate to some fat executive so he can keep flying his corporate charity jet or w/e. You keep on giving to them, I would rather feed my kids or give a friend what I can spare for their kids. Help out family's that have just had a fire, there are ways to help that you can actually see a difference. The United Way is one of the highest paid companie charities around. Think before you judge and you don't know how generous we are. Sharing your dinner table with a family member that needs a good meal may not make a tabloid cover but it's the same charity and THAT begins at home!

Anonymous said...

I shop at Goodwill, does that count? I hope so. Goodwill is da bomb diggety!

NellyBoy said...

YAY, DD read my comment.
Yes...yes i'm that pathetic cuz it made me smile knowing that DD takes the time to read shit on here & cultivates a realtionship with some of us even when we tell her (sometimes) she's lame or full of crap.
Cuz I'm pretty sure DD, you get that this is mostly a fun place and everyone can have an opinion.
One would hope that's understood but then along comes Anaon 6:44.
Really?
Hopefully next time your mama swallows soas not to repeat another kin-folk to the clan.
'Tis OK...think about that comment...take your time...we'll wait.
.
.
.
.
turd!
I would never do a Blog cuz it takes commitment & I'd rather be out in the woods pounding your boyfriends and hubby's.
And yes, us girls will chat about anything.
know what cracks me up?
Men are so stupid that they don't realize when we talk to our girlfriends, we talk about EVERYTHING.
Yes...that too you dumb fuck.
And it DOES matter how big it is
And it is NOT ok
And you are NOT normal
Str8 men are so stupid.
By the way, you closeted little cum-bank. If I can plow you with no lube and you aren't screaming I highly doubt this is your first time.
I would love to see one of those J-Dub books.
Hmm...ever notice how J-Dub and George dubbya sound similar if said fast?
WOW - I get sidetracked so qui...ooo...look something with glitter, gotta go
Air kisses cuz I amuse myself,
Nelly

Anonymous said...

gee anon 4:55, i hope i didn't sound like i was bragging...

i really like to give to others...i would rather give away 10 gifts than get 1...i'm weird that way...and i still say the best thing to give to kids you know is TIME....listen to them when they tell you what they want to be when they grow up; listen to them when they complain about things; they have insight and wisdom beyond their years....

DD you are right....if i can give an idea that'll help others, i'll post it...

i've always thought there should be a discussion board for this site! :)

Anonymous said...

Whatever one contributes to charity, whether it's dollars and cents or "hands on"-- I don't understand people who feel the need to either boast of how often or what they give -or- defend themselves for not giving at all.

Just do your thing...
or don't.

And Dish? Misstia just gave us the complete and unabridged 411 on her charity-giving habits.
How is that not bragging?

Anonymous said...

anon 6:44: HELLO?!?!??! Clue???? if you do not have extra money YOU DO NOT HAVE EXTRA MONEY!

if you're so wealthy go donate some place for us all!

there are many of us who barely scrape by every month...and many of us choose to donate to charities in other ways or pick our own...

i'll stick with save ohio strays and the neighborhood kids....

and TIME is just as important to donate as money! sometimes even more so....

need a hug anon 6:44?

Anonymous said...

no anon 8:12 i did not give the 411 on my complete charity habits...

if i DID i would have told you how much i spent and what i got'em...

and if i wanted to brag, i'd take pix of myself giving the gifts out and i would never do that....

you can mention what you do without bragging...

i am happy i can help others in some small way...is that a brag? dunno, don't care...it makes me feel good and the kids are happy...

bah humbug anon 8:12

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to hate but I have a mom and pop store and you would not believe the people that come in my store with $800 to $1000 on their food stamp card. These people are able to work and will admit it freely. It has been about 6 months since anyone even asked for an application to work. They think it is a joke that they have deceived the government and then the husband will sign up for his own and they get more (they just lie and say they don't live together because they know no one is going to show up to check) so I very rarely donate to anyone because I think that I do enough donating every time I write myself a check and take out taxes. It kills me when someone looks down their nose at me because I'm not being hooked by them.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the pressure at the checkstands, either. Occasionally I will cave and give in this way, but not often, because I don't think it really goes to help anyone in need. I stopped giving to United Way through my employer, years ago because I saw the huge elaborate posters put out for campaign week, and realized that what I contributed per pay period probably paid for less than one poster. Waste of money. Do they think we can't see this? Morons.
I am a Christian, A Catholic, and my son attended parochial school for years, but after a bullying incident at school, I decided not to donate the suggested $500 worth to the annual auction, and they have hounded me to the ends of the earth. Threatening phone calls at my place of work, it's now on my credit report, etc. The world of charity is an ugly place. How they live with themselves, I don't know.
We are doing okay now, but in the past have been very poor, and I truly resented the requests for money at work (to give to other staff members who were considered to be too poor to give their kids a nice Christmas, etc.). I was too poor to do that, too, but I didn't broadcast it, and we got through those times. (This, too, shall pass. . .")
Currently, I give spontaneously, whenever the situation presents itself. I thoroughly resent someone telling me when I should, though. What do they know about my circumstances, or what I have been through? They need to mind their own beeswax.

Dirty Disher said...

These stories are interesting. Yeah, you can't judge people like that in a checkout line. I might be standing there with a designer purse, but, I got it at a yard sale. You just can't tell about people.

Anonymous said...

i reckon if you feel "forced" to give or donate or get put under pressure by the rep or cashier ect........... then its not worth a donation anyway. nobody should be made to feel forced, pressured or bad about not giving.... or even giving, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

i bet some of those cashiers who are forced to badger people to donate could probably use some of those donations....many of 'em make little more than min. wage....

we are getting an ICE STORM!!! BOO! things look pretty though...i hope the power and internet stay on!

Anonymous said...

Personally I think it's wonderful that Miss Tia let's people know what she does for her neighbourhood and the kids there. She's not bragging to show she's proud and pleased to help. There's nothing wrong with people helping and letting others know. Maybe when others hear how she's helping they get the need to help too. It's like spreading the word.
I like hearing what people do for others. It's warming to hear. If no one said how they helped we would think all people are cold and never helped either with time, objects or money.
I want to thank all volunteers and giving people who come here.
Yes, it true, not everyone has money to give so maybe they can find time to give. We can all help. I won't say what I do for kids and adults because it might be taken as bragging, not that I care what people think of me.

Keep up the great work Tia and all those who give freely and lovingly from the heart.

Eliza

Anonymous said...

Miss Tia once said on here that she lives on a little over $600 a month. How can anybody do that, keep their bills paid, have the internet & heat & lights, afford to decorate & light their yard like she does and still be able to walk around town handing out $10 bills to all the bums in the street so they can go buy more cigs & booze? Henry Ford only passed out brand new dimes to people, and he was living on a bit more than $600 a month! Nobody in their right mind would be passing out $10 bills to bums. And in THIS economy? I am on Nelly's side with all this cockamamy BS. It's all BS!

Anonymous said...

well anon 1:27 my personal finances are nyob....but i do live on $683 a month....i live rent free and juggle utilities...i buy new items for the kids on clearance thru-out the year to save for christmas....

i also raise extra money by selling things i find whilst 'treasure hunting' every may in kent....

if you want a detailed spreadsheet on my finances, email me, 'k?? how i spend my money is really none of your business but if you wanna be nosey, i'll be honest...
---------------



thank you for your kind words Eliza!

Anonymous said...

you get what you give,if you dont get it all back here on earth, be patient and keep giving it will come back to you eventually in some form or fashion.

and for the mom & pop store owner,kuddos to you-i miss the mom and pop stores they are a dying breed-but dont be so fast to snit your nose to people on food stamps.
they dont have to come to your store-they could go to a larger chain and get more value,so you should value their buissnessoh and i worked for dcsf,i never saw any food stamp allotment over 450$ so 800-1000 would most like be a rollover balance.

alright what were we talking about here anyway,oh yeah ramen noodles-just like someone said they are good as long as you dont have them all the time.

Dirty Disher said...

I understand how people get mad about welfare fraud..I sure do. But, there's nothing wrong with people who need the help and they all shouldn't be lumped together.

Mom and pop stores sure are having hard times now. I feel for them too. I live in a mom and pop kind of town. Everybody's barely hanging in there.

Anonymous said...

I have a real issue with people pressuring others to "give." Anyone who says "shame on you" for not giving is a moron. Its not one's business who gives or how they give. Just FYI - the checkout people get some kind of perks for getting people to give $1 to those causes so its not all about giving. In fact, some of them get stuff for being sure to ask/encourage people to give even if the customer says no. That's real Gosselin-ish isn't it? Give a dollar so I can get some kind of kickback. Just like the Gosselin's...support St.Jude (and all of our sponsors). Its a joke. Offer people the opportunity to give and leave it up to them to say yay or nay. No condemnation.

Anonymous said...

Let me clear up the mom and pop. I know there are people that really need assistance and I do not begrudge them at all. In fact, I may throw in a few candy bars, or a box of ice cream or something like that for their kids. I would do more if I could afford it. I appreciate their business and express my gratitude to them at every purchase. I have had some customers for more than 30 years. What I don't appreciate is someone coming in the store and bragging to me how they have cheated the government to get benefits. They forget my tax dollars pay for those food stamps. These being the same people that say to their kids "no you can't have a 99 cent coloring book" but look at me and say "I need a pack of Marlboros, too." Yes, you can get over $800 a month in benefits depending on how many kids you have and my state is so free with the money that if the electric goes out for a few days, they put more benefits on your card in case you lost stuff in your freezer. I am just saying that the government doesn't use it's money wisely or properly therefore I shouldn't feel pressure to donate to the needy. When I die I'm leaving my money to the animal shelter. Never had a dog try to screw me over.