Saturday, February 26, 2011

Telling a friend the truth

I have a friend who offered me a bunch of doll parts. All kinds of dolls, glass eyes, wigs, fashion and baby dolls. Her mother made a doll for all the kids and grand kids and she passed away. Her mom was kind of a cool old lady who made quilts and things. Anyway, she offered me the doll parts, which are expensive and nice..and there's a lot of them. A shit load. The first thing I saw in my mind was some crazy macabre sculpture. Then my friend said, you like art, you could make some pretty dolls. I grimaced. I don't make pretty dolls. I don't make pretty anything.
*
I really wanted the doll parts, but, felt like I had to tell the truth. I said, "I'm picturing a front sidewalk display of doll arms coming out of the dirt with a sign that says "raise your hand if you live in hell." And I pondered pouring cement over them and making a monument. With lots of eyeballs.
*
My friend doesn't know anything about art, except that good art looks like something pretty to her. It's not my job to explain art to people, which is subjective anyhow. I just told the truth, I have no desire to make pretty dolls. She hasn't mentioned it again. If I had to sit around and make pretty dolls, it would be my version of hell. It pisses me off to even think about it.

13 comments:

miss tia said...

oh i love that idea!!!!

i have a barbie airplane i'm gonna suspend from a tree or either 'crash' into the yard and then have zombie barbies in the yard......

but hands coming out....that's awesome!!! :)

Dirty Disher said...

LOL..pics please.

just wondering said...

My first thought was picturing an old birdbath or some sort of structure like that with all of these doll parts attached with cement like an old folk art piece.

I see it with marbles, glass eyes, doll parts, and small toys. Verrrry retro cool!

Noelle said...

Telling the truth was the right thing to do. Maybe.
She might have been able to appreciate precious parts once she saw your vision done. She is lost in the what she thinks her mom would have wanted.
TRUTH be known Mom would have appreciated your vision too.

I can see it I think it's perfect for the precious pieces.

Unknown said...

you could make centipede baby for your garden. Or flowers with the babies head as the middle with the hands and feet as the steams and leaves petals and etc. Or give the babies big huge animal teeth.

Bayou Jane said...

You could do a baby version of the sculpture "The Awakening"! That would be a different view of the original art!

Susan said...

That reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcEfMiYpwY

Zombie barbies sounds way better though!!

Dan Zinski said...

I don't have this problem. Because I have no friends.

Dirty Disher said...

Art is a place where I put my rage.

Noelle said...

Thankfully the rage is in the art can't imagine the real bodies strewn everywhere.

really hope you do get those body (doll) parts. I can feel the rage grow as we keep talking about it. I sense some cool art coming.

Dirty Disher said...

I miss doing art projects with you, Noelle.

Noelle said...

awww me too.

Anonymous said...

EBAY!!! Collectors will snap these up (and pay a pretty penny for them too!)