Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Good morning!

Hey, as you can see, I got the old place painted, nice, clean white. I'll do the yellow trim when the weather lets me. For now, I'm happy that it looks clean and cozy. I don't have an outside plug this year, so I just put lights around all the front and side windows. I'm missing one candle. I know I have dozens of them, so, I'll eventually find one. It's early. I think it look cheery and I can't help but think how many decades it's been since this place had holiday lights..if it ever did. Maybe next year the yews I put in will be big enough to light up. I'll definitely have an outdoor outlet next year. I like lights.

This side will be a shade garden next year. My arbor will go here someplace. It was 5 am today when I took these and Tooney helped me by following me and biting my butt. Hard. Happy greeting from a Coon. He also came in for a bit and snooped around, but, I think it was too hot for him, so he went out. I let him stay all night the other night when it was an ice storm. He slept on the couch and behaved himself.

There's the couch I found on the curb. Pretty nice couch. Comfy too. I told you I wanted this place furnished in found or yard sale objects and that's what I've done. I never want to worry about objects again. They mean nothing in the scheme of things, so why spend money on them?


There's my medicine cabinet I was telling you about. It's big and heavy and I like it. But, he hung it at normal height, which means I can't even see the top of my head in it. He forgot how short I am. That's okay, I  have a mirror behind the door and Lis can see in this one. She's the one who wants to look at herself, not me. And he made up for it by putting in all those outlets! It was a surprise. I love my faucets, I picked them out. They look old and say, hot and cold. None of this fiddling with one knob adjusting. That shit is stupid.



I didn't have a towel rack, so I used a curtain rod finial. I like it, so I left it.

I didn't have a toilet paper holder, so I used a bird bath. Hey, it's called, makin' do. I now have a cabinet that fits there and the bird bath is on the deck.


Feed sack curtains and feed sacks on the wall. I have more to hang. I just love the old feed sacks, so colorful and historic of Iowa. I told Lis that Lester Pfister is in the house and she should find him. So far, she hasn't clue. I actually found a string of corn lights too. Corn cob lights from DeKalb seed company. They are so funny to me. I'll put them in here and I have some real old framed ads too.

Indie knocked a plant into the sinks, then turned on the water. I had to call a plumber. Some things never change. I'll show you more later, I am finally finding the end of the damn boxes here.


Tooney's favorite tree. His favorite limb is coming down in a week or two though. It's dangerous. The tree company wants $300 bucks to take it off, but, I already have the wood sold, so I should break even and it won't fall on the house again. Things are really going good here. I love my house, I really do.



I put all the pics on pretty big, if you want to click them.





27 comments:

Unknown said...

Love, love LOVE IT! You've done a brilliant job Pat. Be proud, very very PROUD.

Dirty Disher said...

Thank you so much. It seemed to take forever and I am so happy to be in here. Oh, and was I pissed that someone decided without asking to paint black around my nice old screen door, but, I've grown fond of it now. It will actually look sharp with the yellow I plan.

Angie said...

Awesome! It look very cute :)

iambriezy said...

So cute! You've done a great job. I really love the feed sacks and the finial towel holder. So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations of your lovely home. It looks so cute and cozy. Beautiful job. But I cant help but notice that you don't have a GFI switch on those outlets so close to the water taps. Please be careful when using electrical near those water faucets.

laurajean

Dirty Disher said...

Thanks! The outlets are fine. My one complaint is the low water pressure in the bathroom. Not much splashing there. The main source is on the other side of the house. Weird, but, it works. Oh, and it doesn't freeze!! So far, it's held well through ice storms and low temps. This place is warm and cozy. Also a fortress as I found out when I accidentally locked myself out. I had to call a locksmith. You can not get in here! I now have a hidden key. I also found out I can hook my crummy webcam I never used up for surveillance on the side where the whack job lives. Also bought a new gun, a handgun. Just for, well, it's easier to get and load than the shotgun. I feel extremely safe. And it's sooooo quiet here.

Dirty Disher said...

I'll put more pics on soon.

Dirty Disher said...

PS..did I tell you I spent some extra money to make the place critter proof? Yep. Now, Coons, Possums etc. can eat here and shelter under the deck, but, they can not get into the basement or attic. No more thumping and bumping...and fighting in the middle of the night. They can have the garage and cabin.

Jane said...

Everything looks so nice. It gives me a warm feeling just looking at it. I love feed sacks and framed produce labels. When I was young, mama used to make my rompers and play clothes out of feed sacks. Not that kind, but the printed ones. I don't know what used to come in them but they were mostly a calico print.

And Tooney looks so happy--a coon and his tree--great picture.

Enjoy your home, you deserve it.

connie45 said...

Absolutely charming! Your own Enchanted Cottage! Love the towel bar finial! Has Mom been over to check it out yet? Did you "Mom proof" it too? With the weather turning wintry there - surely she won't venture out much I hope.

Dirty Disher said...

Thank you both and no, she hasn't been here once. I just took her to the store. She won't walk the block over here. One day, when it's all done, I'll go get her. Sigh.

Dirty Disher said...

PS..I think old feed sacks would make adorable kid clothes. They're soft and so pretty.

shelly said...

I'm scared to comment, everything I've written in the past few months disappears. Stupid fucking Google.

shelly said...

Ok, it's working! I love all of it, so bohemian!-The orangish scarf in the kitchen window, the entire bathroom, everything is so fresh and new. It must be really nice to wake up without the "heaviness" of the old house.
Well done! So damn cozy, it will be a lovely winter. And $300 to have a tree cut down is a great price, especially if you've got the haul away lined up. Trees can be a blessing or a nightmare.
Hope you're feeling better, take it easy- as easy as you can. I get a thrill when my garbage picked stuff finds a perfect spot too. Actually almost all of my furniture is thrift/picked/given for free. I love that. I don't have to feel bad that the animals sit and live on my stuff!

Kitty said...

What a pretty couch, and all the 'making do' things? They just add that much more 'you' into the place. I must say that I'm so happy for you! Now you have a beautiful safe place to dwell in. I'm also a bit jealous you have so many plugs in the bathroom like that, how awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful space you have. It does look really fresh and cozy. I am so glad you have a good place to live, with no negative vibes. The feed sacks are adorable and that couch is gorgeous. You furnished it beautifully.
It's great to see that happy little coon in a tree,too.
Christina

Anonymous said...

Remind me not to lurk around.

CatsPaw said...

Soopa kyoot!

Inspector said...

Someone not very bright put those outlets in. She will blow a fuse if she plugs in more than one thing. Very unsafe placement. Doubt it passed inspection, or did you not have it inspected? Is it even up to code???? :)

Anonymous said...

P.s. I forgot to say that I absolutely love the couch!! And I absolutely love the stories and pics about Tooney, keep em coming.

laurajean

Diana said...

Hi Pat! The new place looks great! I love re purposing things too. I'm glad that your house is super secure, I worry about you by yourself in guntown.
What kind of handgun did you get? I think a .380 would be good for you, very little kickback.
I live about 20 miles from the Planned Parenthood in the Springs and it's incidents like this that make me appreciate the fact that I can defend myself if necessary. My husband and I practice shooting in the summers to keep our skills up.
Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

It all looks great. I love how you can make it all look pretty. You need to come to my house and do it all from me. I don't like the all matcha, match your stuff. I love odd and ends. I guess I am weird that way. My mom and sister has to have it all in a theme.

Karen from il.

Unknown said...

It looks great! It looks cozy.

Dirty Disher said...


Thanks, everybody. I've managed to get through more boxes, but, I have so much stuff, it's hard to decide what to keep. I am a hoarder, fortunately, what I hoarded was mostly good stuff. I already made some good trades at the antique store and I'll show you more pics.

I bought an 'antique' .22 revolver. It's not pretty, but, has been nicely kept, clean and has a good safety. The sights are aligned perfectly for me. I got it low priced with a trade. My shotgun is old too. I don't plan on using them. I just want the option of owning for safety or emergency. An emergency being something like a wild animal hit by a car and not saveable or something like that. They are locked up tight, amo is locked up separately and I have the only keys. I doubt I will ever need them, it's just past paranoia that makes me want to keep my home super safe.

Tooney showed up for his cookies about 8pm last night, nipped me on the butt, grinned and left in a hurry. He seems busy.

Inspector, go fuck yourself. You are a retard.


PS, I finally got used to the traffic in the daytime, it's like static now. I hardly hear it. At night it is really quiet. It's amazing what a difference one block makes. No noisy neighbors here at all.

Anonymous said...

Cute!!!! Happy new home!!


No-L

Anonymous said...

Good to hear I don't have assholes for neighbors anymore! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you don't have assholes for neighbors anymore! Enjoy!