Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Googleing things I don't know

Can Cats catch colds? Marvin Gaye is sneezeing and has watery eyes. Now Indie is sneezing and sniffling. Google articles say, yes, Cats can catch Cat colds. They can't catch your cold, nor can you catch a Cat cold. But, yeah, they have colds, I'm assuming, since they've all had their shots for distemper and such.
I'm supposed to wash their faces, which I do and keep them warm and away from drafts, which is easy since they all pick their own warm special place to sleep. Neither of them want out at all, which is odd. Though Indie does go out to potty, but, comes right back. I stand at the door and wait, it doesn't take him long, he hates the snow. Marvin Gaye uses the litter box. Chi Chi is unaffected, though I suppose he could catch it from the others. I just washed all their blankets so they have warm, clean things to cuddle up in. Also it is recommended that I feed them some canned food to make sure they eat. I do that anyway, plus now I've added some warm milk. So, there ya go. I didn't know Cats could catch cold, I haven't been a Cat person that long. When I used to see a sneezy, watery eyed feline, I'd think distemper, but, I guess a Cat cold in Winter is fairly common. Awww, poor babies.

Despite all the recent problems, I do love my kitties. Oh, and the spraying has stopped. If I can get Chi to the vet before he even starts spraying, life should be pretty good here. They still fight sometimes, but, it's mostly noise. I've decided we need a female kitten. I know, crazy, right? But, there's entirely too much testosterone in this place. And if I get a little girl kitten they won't bother her like they would a grown cat. She'd be their little sister. At least I know that much about my own cats. Indie is a sucker for a baby anything even though he likes to bully a little. It's his way of showing newcomers who's in charge. But, he also takes care of them like he did with Chi and Tooney. Come Spring, there will be plenty of unwanted kittens. It's sad and a shame, but, there will be. I have room for one more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet. I am glad that the spraying has stopped. It's hard to live with, if it's in the house.
I didn't know that cats can catch cold, and I had cats for many years. Interesting.
A little girl kitty would be a nice addition. I'm glad that you're enjoying them now.
I would love to have a kitty, but it's not possible. My young, female goldie is crazy when she sees a cat. I don't think she had any negative experiences with cats, though there were cats at the breeders house. She goes out of her mind. We have a neighbor kitty who is a lovely, affectionate, friendly guy. He sometimes comes running to me when I get home. He waits outside the car, and wants to be petted. Sometimes he jumps in my lap and just loves me to pieces. She jumps around on the fence, screaming and wailing. She growls very nastily, and bites at Harley's legs and then pounces around howling and screaming, and then throws herself at the fence again. It really is embarrassing. I keep thinking that if I pet the kitty while talking to her, and keep it low key from me, or turn my face away from her while she is acting up, that my behavior will help cure her of this, but it never works. I would adopt that kitty in a heart beat if I thought I could get away with it, but I can't guarantee his safety. It's a bummer, as he is so very sweet.
Christina

Anonymous said...

Cats can easily catch respiratory infections, highly transmissable between cats what with all that sneezing, grooming, and communal feeding. Not to alarm you, but some can prove fatal without a course of antibiotics, so don't be too quick to pass it off as just a cold, okay? A $30 bottle of antibiotics is probably enough to treat 3 cats if you catch it early. There's a vaccine available that can immunize your cats against the most virulent respiratory infections. ($60 per cat for the vaccine.)

Lol @ thinking a female cat is the answer to too many toms. Empirical evidence of the magical powers of cats to cloud man's judgement.

I have 6 cats, which is at least twice as many as decent people admit to owning. Fortunately they're all black & white---more or less identical-- so to save face I tell visiting relatives I have three very hyperactive cats. Like a galumping herd of zebras, so far no one but me has successfully tallied an accurate count. Three cats. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Kitty said...

Lol to the six cats. I would totally be that way too. 'You've got three cats, right?' 'Uh, yeah, just three. Yep that's right.'

I do hope your cats will feel better soon, I never knew cats could get colds. Poor things.

Jane said...

I find three indoor cats is a good number for me. They all like to sleep on the bed with me and it gets kind of crowded. Plus I move a lot when I sleep and they get pissed off when I wake them up and make them move.

I have one cat that has allergies and her eyes and nose run sometimes. She looks' so sad when this happens. She's also diabetic. She's such a sweet little girl. Just a ball of love--she gets the pillow position in bed.

eriny said...

Both of my cats have kitty asthma. :(

Jane said...

I love that pic of Indie.

Anonymous said...

I was googling things I didnt know, too, and came across the following trivia:

Indie's specific black and white coat pattern is called "mask and mantle" and that black patch under his chin is called a "throat locket". Kinda cute this he's also wearing an actual(red)throat locket.

Signed,
The owner of 3-cough-3 black @ white cats