Monday, March 3, 2008

Shoppin' in the middle of nowheres


I'm sorry about the lack of posts today, but, today was the time of month I take my mamma shopping. Gawd, I don't know why she's convinced I won't be over to her place at least twice a week to take her anywhere she wants, but, the 3rd of the month is extreme shopping. It took me 45 minutes to get the ice off the car. Then I got to her house and we have to wait because she's cooking one of them new fangled TV dinners for my Auntie, who's sick from falling on the ice. The dinner is "new fangled" because the damn plate it comes in is plastic and you have to take it out of there before it goes in the oven. I sigh and say, that's because it goes in the microwave. Mamma looks at me like I'm her retarded child and says the microwave is way too hard to operate. It's like one of them rocket ships. Okay. By the time we get on the road I have to scrape the ice again.
*
She wanted to go to the bank. Fine. She visited in there for a half hour while I sat outside. Then she wants to go to the drugstore. I wait. That's the wrong drugstore, she wants to go to the one where that nice Donaldson boy works (that dude is like 40). He knows what she wants. He reminds her of Uncle Malon, don't I think so too? I don't know. Malon has been dead for 30 years. Fine. I ask how I'm supposed to get there since the ice is piled in the streets with no way to turn around? I take the boulevard and circle back, fighting the ice. Fine. I wait. And wait. And wait.
*
Now she wants to go to the hardware store. I don't ask. I wait..and wait some more. She finally comes out and says cousin Karen is in there buying new kitchen cabinet knobs, those fancy kind that cost 3 dollars a piece. Did I see her? No, Ma. She looks good considering. I reckon.
*
Now it's the grocery store. I waited 2 hours for her to appear at the door. She buys 12 whole chickens because they were on sale. And 10 sacks of cat food even though it wasn't. I smoke 10 cigarettes, read an old magazine I found in the glove box and then I carry it all for her because I'm not an asshole. Today. Then it's the Dollar Store, The Bread Barn and City Hall to pay the water bill. Then we go to Casey's because the Auntie wanted scratch off tickets to make up for losing out on her trip to Vegas because of the damn ice. I wait. I wait some more. Her next door neighbor is in there (the one who spent all that money making her house look like a barn and don't I think that's ugly? Yes, Ma, I do), they can't catch up at home because that's too easy. I wait. And wonder why I ever learned to drive.
*
Just when I think we're done, she decides she needs a trip to the farm supply store. WTF? Okay. I pull up, let her out and wait. Then I decide to go in in case she's buying bulk feed corn for the squirrels. She is. Inside they have Easter chicks. In color. I found out the hatcheries inject food color based dye into the eggs to get them like that. They are adorable and I hold them and listen to them cheep. I think they're saying "please let me go to a farm kid and not some city slicker." Ma yells at me that I'm not getting chicks and to stop messing around.
*
Finally, we get back to the home place only to find the drives blocked and I have to carry load after load all the way up to the house on the ice (while the men folk sit on their ass). My back aches. Bad. She says I only did all this to get home fried chicken. I said, no, I did it because you get Vicodins. I raid her medicine cabinet and leave. She can keep the chicken, she can't cook worth a crap anyhow. But, she's my Ma and, well, she's my Ma. That's why there's no posts today. But, my back doesn't hurt now and I got a new coffee pot somewhere along the way. So, tomorrow will be much better. I promise.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good, good daughter.

Anonymous said...

You have the patience of a saint...and you should be turning all of this into a book--your mother, weekends with Lissa, the meat boys downstairs--all of it. You are very funny lady with a wonderful way of telling a story. You kind of remind me of Fannie Flagg.

CapriciousCat

Anonymous said...

bah for running errands...did that myself today....

but you dun your ma good! enjoy the vicodin and relax! :)

Anonymous said...

I have a fun idea. Let's play a game called "What I learned about DD if this was the only post I've every read about her".

I'll start with the obvious:

1. You are a good daughter.
2. You live someplace cold.
3. You live someplace where jobs are hard to come by, so instead of dying eggs for Easter, you dye chicks.

You guys, you take it from here...

Anonymous said...

You should stay by your moms side at all times.. I 'm just telling you. Been there and doing'ing that.

Jannis said...

Too Funny!

Anonymous said...

I've been telling DD to write a book for ages, she doesn't listen to me tho... :(
Over the years I have learned that DD has the funniest, weirdest and most eccentric family I've ever heard about.... (ummmm Pat dear, that includes YOU... but I wuvs ya anyway....)
Nads

Anonymous said...

Yeah seriously 6:18! I can't believe DD let her Mom roam around unsupervised like that-no wonder it took ya so long! ; )

Clearly, DD you are a great daughter and it sounds like you have a great family.

Anonymous said...

omg.. that sounds like the kind of stuff from a sitcom.. hehe

Dirty Disher said...

CapriciousCat...I own Fanny Flagg's begspread. No lie. Her Grandson gave it to me. If that thing could talk!

Anonymous said...

Been in your shoes, and have also learned it doesn't help to go with her in the store and nag her along...I take a travel pillow and catch a snooze, those Dollar Store runs can be epic

You'll have some credit at the pearly gates...hehe

Dirty Disher said...

Just for the record, the reson she makes me wait so long is that most everyone in this town knows my Ma and loves her. This is more than shopping, it's her socializing time. She's pretty good to me and deserves it. It's a small price to pay. I do get tickled when she asks me questions like.. "Why do you keep all these books in the car?" Gee, Ma, I wonder.

Anonymous said...

Good story. Our moms aren't around forever. You will always know you were a good daughter & your mom sounds like a hoot! I like her. Enjoy your good times, even if it means waiting on her in the car. She loves you for it.

Anonymous said...

can't you just take over from hilary and run the fuckin country (planet)??? you would do it so much better.