Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A ready Zucchini


I like watching the Zuchs and the Gold Rush, which is pretty much the same thing, diff color. I like taking pictures of them. I enjoy the way the light plays on them. Their huge leaves block the sun from their large liquid filled stems. The flowers are pretty, but, under each short lived bloom a fruit begins. I like checking them and seeing how they get big. They grow with a purpose, the stems are hardy and the way they spread out, allowing in only so much light, is really pretty amazing. From dappled to blinding. Anyway, I'm going to have some for dinner, I have to pick them before they get too big. I think I'll make a stir fry. At the end of Summer I'll bet I find a few giants that have hidden in there. And I keep taking their picture. Zucchini's make good subjects. I think everyone should grow one even if you don't like eating them. They make a garden look good. They make a gardener look like he/she knows more and does more than they actually do.
*
Have you ever cooked Zuch's with steak sauce? Man, that's good. I cut them into thick chunks,I don't peel them. Then I fry them over med heat in a little veg oil and cover them with steak sauce. When they start to get tender they soak it all up and man, they are yummy. I like fresh mushrooms in there too. It's the best side dish ever.

14 comments:

Dan Zinski said...

Michael Jackson live blog on Crabbie's Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

Just dont forget to pick them before they get too big. The only good ones are the slender new ones. Sounds good. Like a free steak dinner w/o the steak! I usually bread them yp, unpeeld also, like a fried green tomato and fry them. Fattening! But I love it.
Roxanne

Dirty Disher said...

They're still good after they get big, it's just that you have to peel them then and that sucks. Best to eat then little, huu? I never bread them. I know most people do, but, I like my steak sauce method. I do the stir fry the same way, but, add more veggies. I always make enough to eat on it for a couple of days.

Dirty Disher said...

Oh, and Dollar General makes a real good copy of A1 for only a dollar. I always keep that on hand.

Heidi said...

I never have lucky with squash or zucchini. I think my problem is the squirrels.

Dirty Disher said...

Really? I haven't had a critter problem yet, but, I notice my neighbors have chewed off corn stalks. I think the raccons think their corn is an easier target since they're the ones that used that landscape fabric.

Anonymous said...

mmmm I LOVE zucchini! My favorite is fried (either battered or breaded both are good) and topped with some shaved parmesean chees and dipped in ranch or marinara sauce. Or zucchini bread. My husbands grandma makes the best and gives us like 4 loaves to freeze...yeah right. They don't even make it a week. Let a lone a couple days. I'll eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner. So good!

Anonymous said...

god now i'm starving, ohhh deep fried zucchini flowers!!

kim:)

Dirty Disher said...

I've never eaten the flowers. How do you do it? Do you bread them?

Dirty Disher said...

I can't make bread, my oven is broken. I hate calling to get it fixed, you know, I hate having to make polite conversation and I hate cleaning the house... like cleaning under the stove, you know damn well, they'll have to move it out. It's such a pain in the ass, so I keep putting it off. Agg. I'll do it befor apple season though. I won't miss apple treats. I live for those. I think about them all winter.

Anonymous said...

just a little cornstarch, water, seasoning. deepfry, delish

kim:)

Pat said...

Thanks Kim.

Anonymous said...

Why is crabbie spamming you?

Pat said...

He was INVITING us, and I appreciated it. I didn't have time to go though, my daughter is visiting.