Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy....Spring?

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it and Happy Spring to the rest of us. I am always so conflicted about this holiday. I usually get through it by calling it Ostara, the Pagan right of Spring Equinox, but, this year the date is off. Ostara took place in March. I observed it in my own way, alone. Alissa's mother claims they are Christian, which makes Easter a real holiday. Yet, I am the one who has always done the baskets for Alissa. I call them Easter/Ostara baskets so no one gets pissy. Ostara is a Goddess in Pagan legend who got all pissed off at an unfaithful lover and threw him into the sky to live as a constellation for eternity. But, she had a heart and allows him to turn into a rabbit once a year and deliver fancy eggs to children in Springtime. (Rolls eyes.) If you think that's loony, then think about that dude on the cross who died and came out of a cave later (zombie?) to wave to his followers after he had descended into Hell for three days...all at the order of his own father..in order to save all of mankind from the same fate. Yeah. As far as I'm concerned, you can toss all of that in a pot and stir it Widdershins.

Spell check is going nutso. It has never heard of Ostara, Widdershins or nutso.. Bite me google blog.

Anyway, I will make the baskets in case the grandkids show up. Easter has always meant plastic eggs full of treats and trinkets and some small toys, chocolate bunnies, possibly some new glad rags. A pile of silly nonsense for children to dig into. Lots of chocolate and no preaching. Ostara trinkets are exactly the same as Easter trinkets except there are, of course, no crosses or biblical references. The eggs and bunny are ours (Pagan's) originally. Knowing this is how I get through the holiday. History and knowledge are my friends and comforts.

Okay, Lissa is here, her mom dropped her off and promised to pick her up Monday...or Tuesday. Who knows? She got her confused holiday loot and she's happy. I'll see Gabe later. I'm going to go for a ride with a friend on his motorcycle later. Yep. I'm hitting the road with one of them bikers for at least a whole hour. Lis can stay over at Tuwella's for an hour. I need a shower. He said he'd be here right after church. (Oh, dear load! Church.) So, that's my day. I have two New York Strip steaks thawed out for our dinner tonight. (Ham can go to hell.) A friend gave me the steaks. (Thank you!) I have good friends. Both here and in real life. I wish you a happy day, what ever you celebrate or don't. I also wish you lots of chocolote, I know everyone loves it, but, me. I have Skittles, Tootsie Fruits and belly aches for me and Gabey. Yum.

12 comments:

connie45 said...

Happy Spring to you and yours! I hope the weather is good for your ride! Born to be wild and Born to Run are running through my head. Thats all I got for motorcyle riding songs.

Here it is Easter with all the trimmings, Kids got some small gifts - Frozen on dvd that they are now watching. And will continue to watch over and over unril I want to scream. itunes cards - they're fave candy thats it. Packing up my fancy waffle iron and heading to my brothers to meet up with the rest of my family. 30 of us. And thats just the immediate ones. My brother has a tricked out pool and my girls are jazzed about swimming on Easter.
Hope everyone has a peaceful and chocolate filled day!

Jane said...

Hope your day is happy, happy, happy! Have fun on your ride and remember to keep the bugs out of your teeth.

Anonymous said...

Happy Spring, Pat! Have fun with your grandkids, and a great motorcycle ride! I hope the day is just perfect for it.
Christina

Unknown said...

Happy spring mama!

Susan said...

Happy Chocolate Bunny day! That's all it is here...candy and coloured eggs. The kids will ask what's so good about Good Friday so we'll google that folk tale and that will be the end of it.

Joke I heard today: Jesus walks into a hotel. He drops three spikes on the counter and says 'hey, can you put me up for the night?'

Ha ha...ok, back to figuring out what I can do with three dozen hard-boiled eggs.

Dirty Disher said...

Connie, born it be wild is one of my favorite tunes. Gawd. That sounds like too much family!

Jane, Thanks, same to ya. No bugs in my teeth, but, bugs in my Bangs. Lady bugs. He made me wear a helmut.

Thanks, Christina! It was a beautiful day for it. A bit too much wind on the highway, so I told him not to be showing off. I'm old.

Dirty Disher said...

Happy Spring, Casey Jones (you better watch your speed.) :)

Dirty Disher said...

Susan, best joke ever. I laughed.

Make egg salad, tater salad, eggs on a green salad, that's all I know of. Or feed them to the dogs and wait for the farts.

Unknown said...

Gma said Alissa was super worried about you! Lol

Anonymous said...

Deviled eggs! With a variety of small changes , such as Chinese hot mustard or a little onion in the mix.
Christina

Dirty Disher said...

Oh, Casey J, I ended up gone for 3 whole hours and Lissa wanted to call the hospital and 911 in case he kidnapped me. Sigh. 3 hours in five years and I'm road kill or murdered. Sounds right.

Dirty Disher said...

Christina, that's how I make mine. Me and Lissy Loo ended up at another friend's BBQ and she makes her that way too. I ate 4 of them! Lissa even took a bite.