Monday, September 1, 2014

Record breaking Alligator caught in Alabama

A monster of an Alligator was caught in a creek (in a fucking creek!) by Mandy Stokes with some help from her husband John and her brother in law Kevin Jenkins and their children. That's how some families in Alabama spend their weekends, I reckon. Personally, I would have liked to have been there and no, I don't feel a bit sorry for that Gator. That thing is big enough to eat kids in one bite. It's amazing to me that these animals can survive to be that huge in small waters. The beast weighed over a thousand pounds! 1011.5 pounds to be exact. It broke the previous records of Safari Club International and it took the family 5 hours to pull it in. It was over 15 feet long. They had to go get a backhoe to lift it because this thing destroyed a winch.

That is one huge monster Gator and congrats to Mandy and her family. This will be one hell of a family story from now on. I sure wouldn't let my kids play near the creek where the Stokes live though. Geez Louise!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get your point about how an animal like this could eat anyone very easily, and that it is scarey that something like that was in a creek.
When I read the article, it kind of sickened me that she said she was going to wear her pearls when they went out hunting this thing, so she would look good in pictures. I also think they were not even going to use the meat, but just mount it? or something? It just seems like a waste, to kill an animal that has survived as long as this one has, and not make the best use of it. I am not against hunting, and I know where meat comes from, it's just a little sad.
For sure it will be a family story to hand down, and an amazing story for those kids, and everyone involved, though.
Christina

Frimmy said...

Don't much care about the gator personally but a little respect for any life is warranted. It ups the event from a slaughter if you make it productive on some level and don't waste its life. At least the creek is down one huge menace.

Unknown said...

Well, I'd sure like a pair of boots. Snakeskin boots are way cheaper than alligator boots and they've got way more skin. Always wondered about people relocating these things, there are plenty of them.

The meat is eaten in areas where they proliferate.

Jane said...

September is alligator season. But around here, you have to have a tag or you get a huge fine and maybe jail. There is big money for a large gator and every part of it is used, that's why it is important to get them to market as soon as possible. And yes, it does taste like chicken. I've eaten it many times. Something that big could cause a lot of trouble. They will move to where the food is and will eat other alligators to keep their territory.

As for being in a creek, some of those creeks are big.

Dirty Disher said...

Gator burger was good down south in the bayou, but, the bun was stale. I just ate the gator, and yeah, chickeny. I had a neighbor who bought a 6 inch gator in Florida as a joke, but, he kept it for decades. He loved it, fed it good, built a large cement inclosure with nice pond and it was about 6 foot and fat. I was 14 an adventurous animal lover, ALL animals and he used to let me watch it when he went on vacation. I tried to befriend it. I hand fed it, petted it, talked nice to it, hosed off it's messes...and finally, FINALLY understood, it had no real brain and was not my friend. The end came when it took off it's owners arm and the cops hauled it off with animal control. Zoo time or gator burgers? I don't know and never lost sleep over it.