Tuesday, January 27, 2015

'Horrifying' creature found in tuna can


UK mom, Joe Butler opened a can of Prince's tuna chunks for her children's lunch and found something looking back at her. HERE is the article. She 'screamed in horror', and then took photos and contacted the company who is investigating. What...ever. Their investigation is a joke and we all know it. Big companies don't give a shit what's in their food, only how much they can get away with and how much they make. Anyway, they think it's a crab.

It probably is a baby crab, that makes sense. It's fairly gross, but, not horrifying, in the scope of things. I mean, videos of big tuna, swimming around, lurking, are kind of horrifying to me. But, if I was real hungry, I'd eat them. However, I have not been hungry enough to eat any kind of tuna for a decade anyhow. I don't like it, I think it tastes weird now. I DO buy it, the cat likes it. He gets a half a can a day. He doesn't care what's in it.

Joe says she is not looking to sue them or get a lifetime of free tuna, she just wants to know what it is, and if it could have hurt her kids. My guess, on the last part, is no. A sea creature is a sea creature. What I can't believe is how stupid some of the commenters on there are. "Was it alive?", was asked several times. Yes, dim bulb, it was decapitated, sealed in an air tight can and cooked until it was overcooked, shipped to a warehouse where it sat for months and it survived. ~Massive eye roll~ People should really be ashamed of being that ignorant.

All I have to say about it is, you have to be careful with all your food now. Who doesn't look through every can of food they open? I may be in a hurry sometimes, but, I always have time to do that. I've found weird stuff in food too, we all have. I have a salad I use canned shrimp for (hey, Midwest here). Last time I bought a brand name, none of the tiny shrimp had been deveined. Not one. It was disgusting and that brand is off my list. The last time I found something really odd was last year when I bought a head of lettuce. I got home and went to wash it and when I took off the clear wrapping, I found that it was full of bees. Honey Bees. Just packed with them. I mean, like at least 50 Honey Bees. Two of them were still moving, slowly. I took the two live ones outside where they later died. I threw the lettuce away because the whole incident made me sad. I pondered how that could happen for the longest time and what I finally came up with, what made sense, was really horrifying. Think about it.

What's the weirdest or most disgusting thing you've found in food?


17 comments:

Angie said...

I don't have a disgusting food story, but I think I may know why your cat is acting like a psycho. The tuna is a problem for cats if it isn't specifically marketed for them. My neighbor had a sweet outside cat that roamed the neighborhood and ate everywhere. He started getting really aggressive and fighting with her other cat and meowing at nothing at all. She found him dead on the neighbor's porch and found out later that yet another neighbor had been feeding him a can of tuna a day. The vet said too much tuna can kill them by destroying their B1 levels.

My worst food story was finding not one, but two black hairs in my Chinese take out. I figure that was probably the least of my worries with that shit.

Speak To Me said...

I've heard that tuna is bad for cats too. I will only buy white albacore. Regular tuna is so gross. It smells bad and it's mushy and unidentifiable. Plus I realize that fish have bones, but it makes me queasy to find their vertebrae in the can.

Anonymous said...

I want to hear your theory on the bees...

Only gross food story I have is that I once had a carton of juice and it smelled moldy and tasted a little off. I looked in the carton and found an entire tree twig with the leaves still on it. I'm guessing it was a twig left from the fruit tree.

Kitty said...

I bit into a strawberry a there was a small, unfully deveolped catipiller at the top. Intact thank god. I don't know what I would have done if it were just half of it. That' not the company's fault though, just nature being nature.

Dirty Disher said...

Speak, I can't afford the Albacore for the cat, sorry. But, considering the crap I've seen cats eat (and be fine for 20 years) I am not concerned. The bones don't bother me, I like sardines. But, it just tastes gross. Overcooked and weird.

Dirty Disher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

I agree with your honey bee theory. It scares the snot out of me.

Dirty Disher said...

Anon, I know you, you just forgot to put a name on, huu? That twig is grosser than this story to me. Twigs get rancid in liquid. That juice, all of it, is stored in vats for months, even the supposedly 'fresh' crap. I drink none of that stuff.

My theory on the beez. Hmm. Well, bees are not attracted to lettuce. They had to have taken shelter in it. From what? There was no storm damage on the lettuce. So, I think the bees were attracted to something else in an ajoining field. I think there is no other explanation. They were hiding from a sprayer. Now, why would anyone spray crops that are being picked? Makes no sense financially. I think workers complained about the bees in the field and to shut them up and get them to work (for nearly nothing) the owners sprayed the bees. The bees had done their job, fuck 'em. I think they were deliberately killed. Someone come up with anything else that makes sense.

BTW, When I was young, I was sprayed, close up, by a plane when I worked in the fields. He could clearly see us. There were a lot of us picking. I got terribly sick. If they don't care about people, why should they give a shit about bees?

Dirty Disher said...

Angie, I deleted it while you were posting, so I could add the end. Yeah, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. I grew up in the crops. My folks were migrant workers. Those big industrial owned fields are the worst hell you can imagine.

And while I'm at it, I was outraged at a comment on that article that said, migrant workers shit on lettuce. I have never witnessed anything so stupid. Fecal contamination happens because these poor underpaid field hands are given ridiculous rest room situations. Often they are not even provided and certainly no wash facilities. Man, I could write a page.

Anonymous said...

Yes Pat...you do know me. I did forget to put my name on the comment. I think I will start signing using the city - and city it aint'- that I live in. You call me Bad Axe!!!

BTW...thanks for your bee theory. I also lived near Oxnard CA for some time. Mostly strawberry fields where the migrant workers would pick. I've never seen pickers where there was not a port-a-potty on a trailer right there. I can't say what the hand washing system is like...but they are not out there shitting on the berries.

Anonymous said...

I once found a large chunk of jagged clear glass in a can of mandarin orange segments.
I started picking berries when I was 10. Other kids out there were younger, and it was awful work. Strawberries, raspberries, marion berries, evergreens, blackcaps, you name it. Awful work. I think I wrecked my back, neck and knees, and I always got terrible sunburns. Add to that the terrible sanitation, the lack of handwashing facilities, the lack of water and just generally bad conditions, and I don't know why anyone would do it unless they couldn't do anything else. I once passed out in the fields. Just dropped in my tracks. Scared the pee out of the trail boss out there. I didn't feel right for days after. My mom told me she thought I was faking it (I wasn't) or trying to milk it. No on that count, also. I really didn't have much of a tolerance for the heat and dehydration for at least a week afterwards.
Christina

Kitty said...

A unfully developed catipiller in my strawberry. At least it wasn't half of it and it was the whole thing. And my comments keep getting deleted?

Noreen said...

I don't know if this counts, but recently we had a customer complain to my boyfriend that they found a tooth in their pizza. A TOOTH! Needless to say, he drove out to the address and there was a tooth. Didn't come from his place, it had to be planted by the couple (who have very questionable dental hygiene to begin with). What people will do for a free meal (and they ordered the works!)

Dan Zinski said...

I once found actual chicken meat in a Chicken McNugget. How it got there I have no idea.

Dirty Disher said...

Kitty, that IS gross. Eww. I found one of your comments in spam and sent it to here. You should be okay now. Blogger is now picking up personal IP's, so it will clear you.

Noreen, people are classless and clueless. I love your pizza stories. You have some of the best celeb connections I know of, for real.

Melvin, that is horrifying. I am boycotting them.

Dirty Disher said...

Bad Axe, love that nic..and..

Christina, yep. We picked a LOT of Strawberries. Back breaking work, so low to the ground, no shade. But, at least there was something to eat. Seriously, I used to live on them. Napa Valley berries get fist size to a child. Gawd, they were good.

Unknown said...

I once peeled a banana and found spiders nested in it.