Monday, March 2, 2015

For Jane..When I'm Gone, by Eminem


Jane, I know you hate rap, so of course I have to try and convert you. I'm starting you off soft and sort of sweet. He writes about his own life. His body of work is really his diary. This one is from 'Recovery'.  He wants to be a good father here. He wrestles with the choices he makes and carries a lot of guilt. He even has nightmares about not being there to protect his family. His guilt over having to leave his children for work, his treatment of their mother, promises broken, the fact that if he chooses to carry this fight he's having with another rapper farther, he could be gone. Or maybe fate will get him.

I think it will touch you, like it does me. He eventually got custody of both children. His own daughter and the daughter his wife had with another man. He seems to have raised them well.

My personal favorite of his is Cold As The Cold Wind Blows. It's a bit assholey, it's a harsh warning to a female singer. You kind of have to hang for the hook to get why I love it. But, he does write love songs too. He can write stuff that makes me cry. He can be such a head trip.

7 comments:

Jane said...

There is some rap that I do like. Yes, I think Eminem is good and I like Pit Bull. But their are some out there that can't write a rap w/o every other word being fuck or talking about putting a cap in someone's ass. That's the kind of shit that I don't like. And I think shit is an appropriate word for it. Usually the only message is about killing or drugs. And I just think that their message is not needed. I'm not trying to be an old fogey, I just can't see anything good coming out of thug mentality. Instead of saying I don't like rap, maybe I should say I don't like the message.

Unknown said...

I listened to 2 Tom Jones songs back to back a few years ago, "I Who Have Nothing" & "Delilah". Ever since then I can't hear them without thinking the protagonist is a stalker where Delilah doesn't even know he exists & he kills her because he is delusional. I know this is just my weird reading of it and I do love his voice which these songs showcase so well. I guess I'm trying to say that it's not just rap that has horrible messages in the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

Hey, a little off topic, but I know you like Marilyn Manson. Have you seen the father/son picture he and his dad had done? It's actually pretty cute, and this is coming from someone who is thoroughly creeped out by him. Check it out if you get the chance.
Christina

Dirty Disher said...

Jane, I love that comment. I hate that too. I hate the ones who rap it, but, never lived it. If they've lived it, I listen. I can relate. I love a good female rapper. I'll find one for us.

Dirty Disher said...

Christina, I do love me some Manson. His real story is something else. Did you know that he comes from a good solid family, no abuse, raised strict Catholic and his fear of Satan drove him to become what he is? His whole message is not to do or worship evil, it is to overcome oppression and choose your own path. He's cool as fuck. Thanks, for telling me. I will find that pic.

Dirty Disher said...

Silvia, I saved you for last because I am going right now to listen to Delilah for the first time. (I've heard it hundreds of times, but, never listened.) I'll be back.

Dirty Disher said...

Silvia, damn! Delilah. Yeah, I knew he killed her, I figured he was her man, but, you are correct. He was a stalker! The clues are in the song. She opened HER door. He didn't live there. And if he was her man, he would have killed the guy too. He was a fucking stalker! 'I who have nothing' might be a prelude to the killing. It could be a play, maybe it is. Tom Jones was hot as a pistol, wasn't he? Have you seen him and Janis Joplin together? I'll find it.