Friday, February 11, 2022

 I have been in this care home for two weeks now. I never thought I'd be one to have to go into a place like this because I was always so active and strong. I was always surprising men who couldn't believe how strong a small woman can be. I worked along side many and did the same work in the same amount of time. However, the cracks in my spine just kept progressing no matter how much I tried to ignore them and the medical prediction. At this point I am labeled a paraplegic. I have very little use of my legs. My cute little house is not wheelchair accessible. It doesn't even have a handicapped entrance. I thought about putting one in, but, realized how seriously weak I am now.  I also found out I have stage three kidney disease. It sure wasn't cause by alcohol. At the moment, there is no pain from it and everything functions normally. I have severe pain from my back though. I ust got new meds yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

What I really want to talk about is, being in ''the home''. It's called Garden View and it's at 1200 W. Nishna Road, Shenandoah, Iowa, 51601...if anyone cares to write me. I'll sure write back. This place had some really bad reviews online, in fact it was called ''the nations worst'' by Google. But, placements are hard to find, plus I had some lies working against me. I'll tell you about those later. So Garden View was the only lace that would take me. I had been in the hospital for weeks with nothing much being done for me, they just kept me because I'm kind if helpless now. It snuck up on me and it's hard to get used to.

Despite the reviews (which made me nervous) this place is pretty good. Most of the staff are very nice, sweet and really see to care and want to help.Some of them have a great sense of humor too. Sure, you get Grouch once in awhile or what I call a Huffer. A Huffer is someone who huffs everytime you ask for something and dismisses you with "I'll ask'' or "I was just going to do that, so wait.'' It's in the tone of the voice and the eyeroll and the inevitable, "Turn off your call light." Sometimes when I get a huffer I say, "I'll turn off my light after you get around to helping me." So far, that's been the worst of it. For the most part, I like everybody on staff here. Oh, and I've gained a ton because the food is actually good. It's like...home cooked cafe food. Truck stop food.  Which I always enjoyed.. Also they roll out the snack cart twice a day not to mention the personal groceries I have stashed. 

4 comments:

Lisa P said...

I’m glad it’s not as bad as reviews. I have seen some assisted living situations that seemed nice. Now that I know where you are, might have to kidnap mom and come out for a visit

Dirty Disher said...

YAY! Yes, please come visit! I have my Tarot Cards here too. I don't know why, but, I grabbed them. And,no, this place isn't awful, it just fucks with your head pretty bad to lose your independance so swiftly. To realize what you are and where you are is a journey, believe me. Hey, if you come visit me, I hope you bring Grant. I had fun with him.

Anonymous said...

I will make sure we all come!

Lucky cola said...

Leveling up is not just a goal; it's a way of life. Game smart, game strong! Lucky Cola